One of the greatest dilemmas facing civilized man is in controlling his appetite. Everywhere you go you are surrounded by food when you pass by the bakery, deli or your favorite restaurant. The aroma is so inviting that you give in to your cravings and eat to your heart’s content or (should that be stomach?). This does not mean you should not enjoy food the way you want too, after all we have to eat to live and delicious food makes it worth the while. The problems with eating is that we tend to consume the wrong foods and too much of it hence the phrase “an unbalanced diet.” The issue is not the availability of food; the problem is the lack of will-power.
It is important to develop the will-power early in life to control the eating habits. Even if you are an adult and give in to food cravings start now to develop your will-power. When you stop to consider the health complications associated with overeating. It is best to nip it in the bud before you suffer from digestion problems, insomnia, overweight or obesity. If you are already obese then knowledge is power and seek help to control your eating habits.
- Take up yoga exercises or some form of mediation class that help you to develop self-restraint to overcome the urges. When you learn to control your mind you will be able to control your body. So the next time an urge to eat surfaces and it is not time to eat. Your self-discipline will prevent you from gorging. Regular exercise helps develop discipline.
- Substitute unhealthy snacks by eating nuts, yogurt, raisins, celery sticks or fruit that help keep down weight. Try a diet shake if you crave ice-cream, these shakes are delicious with few calories and you will feel satisfied.
- Do not overwork your stomach by stuffing your gut. Some people tend to overeat even when they are not hungry.
- Consult with your doctor before starting any diet plan, especially if it involves taking diet pills. Rapid weight loss can be a problem on the heart that can cause heart attacks later on. See your nutritionist for a complete diet plan.
- If it is extremely difficult to control your eating habits then you might need to get professional help. Hypnosis is an option you can look into.
- Avoid places that are densely populated with fast-food outlets such as the shopping malls that are very hard to resist, with many eating places to choose from. This is your worst nightmare come to life.
- Another way to control your eating habits is to distract yourself long enough to forget about it. Engage in some form of physical activity or if you like video games go ahead and play. Just remember when you are thirsty don’t reach for a soda or a bag of potato chips.
Practice all of the above suggestions sincerely to gain control over your appetite so as to avoid becoming overweight.